Renting property safely
Rental fraud happens when would-be tenants are tricked into paying an upfront fee to rent a property. In reality, the property does not exist, has already been rented out, or has been rented to multiple victims at the same time.
In these cases, the victim loses the upfront fee they have paid and is not able to rent the property they thought they had secured with the payment.
AFC Properties in Southside give us top tips to ensure you rent safely.
Top tips for renting
- Contact the agent/landlord safely – Have you been to their shop front? Are they accredited agents eg RLA, NLA, MLAS. Are their bad news about them online or in the news stories?
- ‘This property seems too good to be true?‘ – It probably is! Beware of property that looks very cheap compared to other similar properties in the local area.
- Ask for copies of tenancy agreements and safety certificates – such as gas, electricity or House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) Licence. Check if tenancy agreements has the agents or landlord’s address which is a real registered address.
- Paying a deposit before seeing the property? – Never pay money until you have visited the property and met the letting agent/landlord. If you are unable to do so, ask someone you trust to do this on your behalf.
- Ensure your deposit is protected – When renting property, if you are taking an Assured Shorthold Tenancy in England and Wales after 6th April 2007, make sure that the deposit you pay is covered by the Tenancy Deposit Protection Schemes (TDP).
确保您的押金安全 – 自2007年4月6日起， 凡在英格兰和威尔士地区签订的短期保证租房协议的，都需要确认您的押金是受“租赁保证金保护方案”的保护。
- Do not be pressurised into transferring large sums of money – Be especially skeptical if you’re asked to transfer any money via a money transfer service like Western Union.
尽量避免大笔资金的转账 – 要特别注意，如果你被要求通过汇款形式付款的，例如 西联汇款。
- Making a money transfer? Ensure it’s going to the right place – When making an internet banking transfer payment, only the account number and sort code are checked by the banks. Do not assume therefore that the payee name is correct. Also be sure you type the correct numbers; a mistake may result in your money going to the wrong account which may be costly and timely to retrieve.
资金转账？ 确保资金转账无误 – 如果通过网上银行转账，银行只负责检查收款人账号和收款银行代码。您需要检查收款人姓名及所付的金额是否正确，付款前请再次确认所填信息是否准确， 否则您的资金就会转到错误的账号，而且费时费力去索回。
- Are you comfortable to send your money to this person? – Do not send money to anyone until you are certain the advertiser is genuine. If in any doubt, contact the company you believe you are transferring money to, your bank or Action Fraud for more information.
AFC Properties is a well established letting agent in Southside Chinatown, they are accredited agents and can speak Mandarin, Cantonese & English.
Looking to rent a property or have issues with the current tenancies? They would be happy to assist you.